Re: Set Multimode Question/error

T Taneli Vahakangas (vahakang@cs.Helsinki.FI)
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 21:10:13 +0200 (EET)

Hello!

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Benjamin Close wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could someone tell me why I get the following error at boot up:
>
> Partition check:
> hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
> hdb:hdb: set_multmode: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdb: set_multmode: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
> hdb1 hdb2 < hdb5 hdb6 hdb7 hdb8 > hdb3 hdb4

I'm also curious as to why this had to creep back. Is there some reason to
set multmode on bootup in the kernel? Andre, if you're reading, please
comment ...

As far as I can see, this is totally unnecessary; my own faulting drive
(also a Seagate, but different model --> ST34321A) uses DMA for transfers
and multmode is actually set off later in the boot process.

Taneli <vahakang@cs.helsinki.fi>