Re: BIOS info: how to get it w/o rebooting the system ??

Bernd Eckenfels (ecki@lina.inka.de)
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 01:13:43 +0100

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.990119104903.25288A-100000@main.cyclades.com> you wrote:
> I thought this was impossible for the kernel to provide, but ... Windows
> NT does the trick (NT Diagnostics). Thus ... my question is: is there,
> currently, a way to get this info from the kernel w/o rebooting the
> system? If not, don't you guys think it's a useful implementation ??

AFAIK te boot loader stores some BIOS information (like the harddisk table)
in memory before switching to the protected mode. I guess NT is doing the
same thing. But you are right BIOS and VGA Bios Strings are 'nice to
have[tm]' sometimes.

Not sure about the bios32 extensions. There have been kernel patches to get
to the realmode bios.

Greetings
Bernd