Re: *** draft 3 - press release ***

Andrej Presern (andrejp@luz.fe.uni-lj.si)
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 21:54:11 +0100

Richard Gooch wrote:

> Albert D. Cahalan writes:
> >
> > Ian McKellar (imckellar@harvestroad.com.au)

> > > Remeber to use the word "legacy" when referring to NT systems.
> > > NT was so 1995. Linux is the latest-and-greatest thing :)
> >
> > It would be nice to return the complement, but I think that could
> > backfire. It makes the press release hard for many people to accept.
> > As it is, "upgrade path to Linux" could trigger a reaction in some
> > people.
>
> Did the original M$ comment backfire when they made it? I don't think
> we should be scared that easily by possible negative reation. It's not
> at all clear that there will be any significant backlash.

Read the Halloween documents (again), *THINK*, then answer your own
question.

The difference between Microsoft and the open source society is: we're
different.

> In any case, how many press releases have you seen which are
> absolutely truthful and don't bend the truth? This is not a computer
> programme or a legal document: strict accuracy is not essential.

This 'press release' problem is only a problem because people want to
turn it into a marketing campaign. What's wrong with merely stating that
a new stable kernel version is available, that it's a major one and that
people should look at the Changes file if they wish to use it as it may
involve making (substantial?) modifications to the system? I don't think
there is a single user out there who isn't completely CERTAIN that the
long awaited new major stable version is ah and oh and absolutely
wonderful, that it contains a number of new drivers and features, that
it is faster, leaner and meaner than any of the previous versions, and
THAT SHE WANTS IT.

Marketing is about telling people that they want your product.
Good products are about not having to employ marketing.

This thread and the Microsoft's ego-inflated boast that you get to read
while Windows is installing are becoming increasingly alike (and
similarly distasteful).

Andrej

--
Andrej Presern, andrejp@luz.fe.uni-lj.si