Re: *** draft 3 - press release ***

Harvey J. Stein (hjstein@bfr.co.il)
19 Jan 1999 10:37:33 +0200

Roger Espel Llima <espel@llaic.u-clermont1.fr> writes:

> Albert D Cahalan wrote:
> > I had that idea too, but grabbed a different quote. I'm not sure
> > if it is better or worse, but at least it avoids "UNIX". Besides
> > being a dead legacy operating system, UNIX is a trademark licenced
> > exclusively through The Open Group -- or whatever.
>
> I agree that the word "UNIX" should not appear, but the other quote is
> better. Praise from "the enemy" is much better than just their
> admission that they are concerned. I'd start quoting somewhere after
> the "UNIX" word, making it fit into a sentence.

Who do you guys think you're fooling by not mentioning Unix? Every
article on Linux has a sidebar saying it's Unix or Unix like, or ...
Do you really think that if you hide it in the press release that some
people will actually get as far as getting a copy & installing it
before they figure out that it's Unix? That these same people would
have skipped it had the press release mentioned Unix? I think it's
absurd. Who wants someone so clueless actually running Linux? Next
they'll post install problems to linux-kernel because they didn't know
what a kernel was. They'll think it's the core group of people
helping out with Linux support.

--
Harvey J. Stein
BFM Financial Research