Re: *** draft 4 - press release ***

Galen Hancock (galenh@bigfoot.com)
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 21:20:10 -0800

On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 12:54:35AM +1030, Ed Lang wrote:
> [New draft of release]

Hi, and thanks for working on this. It will look very nice to see a
release when 2.2 is out. I have a few comments.

> According to Cohen and Valloppillil of Microsoft, Linux "poses a direct,

Name them fully the first time you refer to them (I'm not even sure who
Cohen is). Also, I don't like this quote--

> short-term revenue and platform threat to Microsoft, particularly in
> server space. Additionally, the intrinsic parallelism and free idea
> exchange [of Linux] has benefits that are not replicable with our
> current licensing model."

The problem is that it is technically worded and may be confusing to
people who are not programmers.

> They also note that "Linux has been deployed
> in mission critical, commercial environments with an excellent pool of
> public testimonials."

> Valloppillil has been impressed with the quality of Linux, and the open
> source model it was developed under, stating "Linux represents a
> best-of-breed UNIX, that is trusted in mission critical applications,
> and - due to it's open source code - has a long term credibility which
> exceeds many other competitive OS's."

I like these two quotes much better. "Trusted" will give the reader warm
fuzzy feelings. :-)

> Microsoft Netherlands' spokesperson Aurelia van den Berg commented on the
> openess of the Linux kernel development method, stating "Linux is a philosophy
> as much as technical phenomena. On the positive, and Microsoft is interested
> in better understanding and finding ways to accomodate this dynamic, it
> provides for extensive peer review, and for a lot of independant parallel work
> on a variety of features."

> [COMMENT - Should we ask for permission to use this quotation? I assume that
> all the Halloween documents are GPL'd, but that still doesn't seem to clarify
> what permission we need to quote quotations from it.]

Not GPL, but the quotes in them probably may be considered public
domain. I'm not sure if you want this quote in here, though, given your
prior quotes--I don't think it looks good to quote extensively from the
opposition in a press release.

Here's my effort:

: Even Microsoft employees have been impressed by Linux. In a company
: memo, staffer Vinod Valloppillil wrote, "Linux represents a
: best-of-breed UNIX, that is trusted in mission critical applications,
: and - due to it's open source code - has a long term credibility which
: exceeds many other competitive OS's."

I would not include further Microsoft quotes.

> [COMMENT - Here we need quotes from Linux,, and from distributions.

And from satisfied users (one or two), I think. A problem is that it is
easy to make a very long press release, and I think that is to be
avoided. With a release as important as this one perhaps it is
justified.

> Open Source Organisation (?) http://www.opensource.org/

"Organization" -- the release claims to originate from Santa Clara, so
should be written in American.

Actually, I think they are calling themselves OSI, for "Open Source
Initiative", now. The page does not seem to affiliate itself with
anything, though (aside from referring to "the Open Source campaign"),
so perhaps you should mail the webmaster and ask.

			-- Anonymous