Re: *** draft 3 - press release ***

Robert Minichino (linuxkrn@pasture.net)
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 22:52:47 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Robert B. Hamilton wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Ian McKellar wrote:
>
> > Remeber to use the word "legacy" when referring to NT systems. NT was so 1995.
> > Linux is the latest-and-greatest thing :)
>
> The average American computer illiterate instantly associates
> "legacy" with "vast inherited wealth". And majority of readers
> of press release, not to mention reporters, will be computer
> illiterate. I know it (legacy) has become a part of the lexicon,
> but why not buck the trend and use a phrase which brings association
> of being tarnished with age?
> Perhaps "rusty old", or "dusty-deck"?

Or how about "obsolete." :) "Rusty old" comes across as something that
would be spewed forth from a bitter, opinionated individual, while
"obsolete" or "outmoded" points more towards facts, such as design and
feature set. Also, if we're going to FUD, the FUD has to be convincing
and not akin to mere mud slinging. :)

--
Robert Minichino
Denarius Enterprises, Inc.