Re: [RFC] What should we do with FAT inode numbers?

Wayne Schlitt (wayne@midwestcs.com)
17 Jan 1999 08:25:59 -0600

In <199901162039.NAA06599@nyx10.nyx.net> Colin Plumb <colin@nyx.net> writes:

> Well, the solution to this is a simple extension of the one I mentioned:
> pre-emptively allocate a block to the file when it is created. [... ]
>
> That will solve the common case above. The only difficult one is
> f=creat(name, ...); // f is now zero-length
> fstat(f,&st); // get the inode number
> close(f);
> stat(name,&st2); // oops... inode number just changed

This can happen on "normal" unix filesystems anyway. Imagine another
process that mucks with the file between the close and the final
stat() call. Wait, no, the other process doesn't have to wait for the
close() call, mixing fstat() and stat() can always give you different
results.

-wayne

--
Wayne Schlitt can not assert the truth of all statements in this
article and still be consistent.