Re: C++ in kernel (was Re: exception in a device driver)

Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com)
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 21:10:55 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Khimenko Victor <khim@sch57.msk.ru>
To: chip@perlsupport.com <chip@perlsupport.com>; khim@sch57.msk.ru
<khim@sch57.msk.ru>
Cc: barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com <barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com>;
alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>; ncm@cantrip.org
<ncm@cantrip.org>; linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
<linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Date: Saturday, January 16, 1999 9:21 AM
Subject: Re: C++ in kernel (was Re: exception in a device driver)

(chip@perlsupport.com) wrote:
>CS> According to Khimenko Victor:
>>> Since C++ has no support for modular programming
>
>CS> For shame, Mr. Victor, you're FUDding! And on a Linux list, where FUD
>CS> is well-known as the enemy of truth!
>
>If I'm FUDding then please explain how C++ support modular programming.
>How I'm could use module without including part of module sources in my
>program ? What's analog of "FROM ... IMPORT ...;" construct from good old
>Modula-2 ? Or "with ...; use ...;" from Ada ? Or even "Uses ...;" from
>Turbo/Borland/Object Pascal ? Not to mention Java with it's import
clause...
>No, this is not FUD. This is just bitter truth :-(( Since my daily work is
>programming on C++ I'm know this very well...
>
>To say that C++ (or C for that matter) has support for modular programming
is
>to say that Asm has exellent support for modular programming: you have
wonderful
>support for modular programming in both languages via include construct...

All you need to use a C++ module is the header file which is included with
the #include parameter. The C++ class libraries could be placed in a
library Obviously if you change the interfaces you would have to recompile
you source so that the compiler know what has changed. If you have changed
to class source you would have to recompile the library as well; but you
also have to do this in any other language, unless it is partially or fully
interpited. By the way this is the exact same behavior of Turbo Pascal.