Re: Lance driver sick with 2.2.0-prex changes

Thomas Bogendoerfer (tsbogend@alpha.franken.de)
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 01:35:04 +0100

On Sat, Jan 16, 1999 at 07:56:54PM +0100, Mark-Andre Hopf wrote:
> The behaviour of the pcnet32.c driver (same computer) is even worse. When
> eth0 and a PPP connection or `x11perf -a' is running the kernel log is
> filled with
>
> Jan 15 19:34:34 nomad kernel: eth0: transmit timed out, status 0063, resetting.

Right now I have no idea how this can happen. It means the transmitters is
stopped and the receiver still running. This shouldn't happen as the driver
always enables both transmitter and receiver. My theory is, that there is
a situation, where the chip turns of the transmitter, because of too many
failures (or whatever). But this isn't documented anywhere:-( and there is
no interrupt, when it happens. I have a patch, which checks in xmit_start()
whether the transmitter is still running and reinits the chip, if not. It
isn't a pretty workaround, but it seems to work (only tested by one person).

Thomas.

                                        [Martin `MJ' Mares on linux-kernel]