Re: [RFC] What should we do with FAT inode numbers?

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 09:48:56 -0500 (EST)

Alexander Viro writes:

> FAT-derived filesystems use directory entry location as inode
> number. Fine, except that we have to take care of unlinked-but-opened
> inodes (avoid reusing the same number). Thus we may have to declare a
> directory busy even if all files are unlinked (otherwise we might reuse
> the same block and thus inode numbers later) [not done; race in msdos and
> umsdos]. Thus we have to do all sorts of ugly stuff in link creation.

NFS has a solution for this. 1a1698c1.tmp looks good to me.
Directories that only contain renamed entries may get the same
treatment themselves, since they are considered empty.

> Rename may change the inode number of inode. Thus we either have
> to prohibit renaming opened files (real funny, Scotty...) [msdos, umsdos]
> or accept that fstat() may return different i_ino being called twice on
> the same opened file [vfat].

So, what breaks if the reported inode changes after rename?