Re: Is there something wrong here?

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 05:12:22 -0500 (EST)

On 16 Jan 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> In article <77pj0o$9sk$1@palladium.transmeta.com>,
> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> wrote:

> It makes no sense at all - we should just return the locked buffer, and
> read the data from there (or even _write_ it - even if we're in the
> middle of writing it to disk that's fine, because we'll mark it dirty
> and later write out the correct version).

Linus, it may mean that we'll need two kinds of locking. There
*are* situations when we are changing the content of the buffer and want
some atomicity. BTW, writing to the locked buffer makes no sense if we are
reading into said buffer - you don't know if the read request will not
overwrite your changes a tick later. Methink we may need four bits:
premission to read, write, do IO and modify state. Yes, current mechanics
is too coarse, but ignoring eveything except IO will not be nice.