Re: C++ in kernel (was Re: exception in a device driver)

Chip Salzenberg (chip@perlsupport.com)
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 00:05:57 -0500

According to Tor Arntsen:
> In article <fa.gfmef4v.1qjmpqe@ifi.uio.no>,
> Chip Salzenberg <chip@perlsupport.com> writes:
> >We're doing such a complete rewrite with Perl right now. It's a
> >big project, even though the fine points of Perl aren't nearly as
> >razor-sharp as the fine points of Linux.
>
> You mean you're rewriting Perl in C++?

Yes.

> If, however, that's what you're saying then I'll stay with the last C
> version of Perl, that's for sure.

Feel free.

> C++ code not maintained by the original developer seems to end up
> unmaintained almost always.

"90% of _everything_ is crap." -- Sturgeon's Law

> (e.g. who's been fixing groff the last years? Nobody.)

Considering the age of groff, I suspect that its design is based only
on the language of cfront 2.0, or maybe even cfront 1.2. Compared to
ANSI C++, those are stone knives and bearskins.

"ANSI C++: It's not your father's C++."

> As far as I'm concerned I'm done with C++ forever. Even thinking of
> the fact that I thought C++ was a pretty good idea some years back
> is quite embarrassing now.

Don't invest too heavily in the opposite view, either. Embarrassment
makes for poor design choices.

--
Chip Salzenberg      - a.k.a. -      <chip@perlsupport.com>
      "When do you work?"   "Whenever I'm not busy."