Re: 2.2.0 Press Release -- an old draft resurfaces

Kai Henningsen (kaih@khms.westfalen.de)
15 Jan 1999 23:31:00 +0200

map@stacken.kth.se (Magnus Ahltorp) wrote on 15.01.99 in <ixd1zkwx5wz.fsf@turbot.pdc.kth.se>:

> > - support for IPv6 addressing (48-bit internet addresses);
>
> 48-bit addresses? I could agree that the end-user allocated network
> would be /48 with Bob's RFC2450, but the above statement is plain
> wrong.

How do you get that?!

IPv6 addresses are 128 bit. 64 of those bits are "usually" determined by
the MAC address (yes, 64, not 48), and the usual end organization
assignment from that RFC is 16 bits more (that is, 80 bits total) for
subnetting use - I'd expect ISP customers to not get those 16 bits.

MfG Kai