Re: *** next draft - press release ***

Jim Gettys (jg@pa.dec.com)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 12:42:24 -0800

> From: Riccardo Facchetti <fizban@tin.it>
> Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 21:13:25 +0000 (/etc/localtime)
> To: Jim Gettys <jg@pa.dec.com>
> Cc: Greg Smart <GSmart@tennyson.com.au>,
> linux-kernel <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
> Subject: Re: *** next draft - press release ***
> -----
> On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Jim Gettys wrote:
>
> > > I suggest to change that sentence this way:
> > >
> > > "Today the Linux Software Development Team led by Linus Torvalds ..."
> >
> > Should be "kernel development team"; others lead other parts of the
> > system. Be generous in giving credit to others; there is more than
> > enough to go around. Be inclusive, not exclusive.
>
> Yes. You are obviously right. Anyway we have to claim strongly that there
> is a Linux Develompent Team because we can tell the masses that there is
> at least a team that may address their problems with Linux (not counting
> that every linux distributor have its own helpdesk).
>
> > > * Superior workstation and day to day working environment, with super
> > > stable Operating System and high quality software including Windows-like
> > > Graphical User Interfaces, complete Office Automation Suites compatible
> > > with the Microsoft Office suite, Internet Navigation packages for
> > > running faster on the Information Highway, complete development suites
> > > for writing your own software with the language of your choice.
> >
> > I think that these claims are premature....
>
> [...]
>
> > I just installed Gnome; I have the new office software that
> > is on the market; there IS serious hope (and maybe KDE already provides
> > this level of function, but I note it is not "standard" on Linux today),
> > of Linux having a competative or superior GUI within the year
> > but any such claim right now is blowing smoke.
>
> Look at KDE ! I'm using it and I think its interface is really cool.
> I use StarOffice too.
>
> And for how distribution vendors are presenting their X11 installations,
> look at the news on the kde page (www.kde.org). KDE is standard alredy on
> some distributions.
> The above claims seems to me perfectly true.

I don't wish to argue the KDE vs. Gnome merits. And gnome is to
the point that it shows very serious signs of promise. And I have ALL
of the various office packages installed at this point (each has its
strengths and weaknesses; I'm not yet convinced I can take my big document
(the HTTP/1.1 spec) off of Word 98 quite yet, though I still have hopes).

I do note that in the computer stores I wander into, I see Red Hat
distributions in stacks, but not SuSE.

Given the market share RH has, probability theory says that most people
who pick up and install Linux right now will NOT have a superior user
interface experience. I've got Win98 installed at home as well, and the
competition is far from trivial.

Ergo, it is premature to claim that Linux has one, in my book. Hopefully
in 6 months, it won't be. And there isn't anyone on the planet, with
the possible exception of Bob Scheifler, that will be happier than I
am when the bulk of Linux/UNIX shipments finally have a competant GUI
shipping.
- Jim Gettys