Re: PROBLEM: NFS client mounts disappear...

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 11:43:56 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Brent Callaghan wrote:

> If the mount is disappearing, then it sounds like something has
> come along and done a "umount". That something is likely to
> be Amd in this case.

Unless you _really_ really have to use amd for some reason, I strongly
encourage people to use autofs. It's a lot more robust - it was written
internally here at transmeta by hpa simply because amd is just too fragile
and nobody seems to really support it any more.

There's a few things that amd does that autofs doesn't do, and hpa is
thinking about them for the next version of autofs, but I'd ask people who
still use amd to consider very strongyl to just drop it in favour of
something that is a lot faster and more reliable.

Linus