Re: *** next draft - press release ***

James Willard (james@cows.ml.org)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:28:34 -0500 (EST)

Has anyone else noticed how silent Linus has been on this whole issue of a
press release? Maybe we should pause for a moment to see what -he- has to
say about it.

Linus?

> On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
>
> [...]
> > > running faster on the Information Highway, complete development suites
> > > for writing your own software with the language of your choice.
> >
> > Yes, I suppose that is needed. Let's skip "Information Highway"
> > though, please!
>
> Oh ... the "Information Highway" is IMHO a stupid way to call the Internet
> but americans seems to love it :)
>
> [...]
> > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > :)
> > >
> > > Really fun, but seriously this one can not make into the press
> > > release ... IMHO we should _not_ lower our profile doing clownie
> > > things like other well known entities.
> >
> > I'm not kidding. We must acknowledge the trademark correctly.
>
> Okay, so we will ack that trademark your way.
>
> > > * Euro support?
> > Not stupid, we now have characterset and font support for it.
> > > * Y2K compliance
> > Ugh. Yes, it crossed my mind but didn't seem to fit anywhere.
>
> These things are all two important. May be something like this:
>
> * Euro symbol and Y2K issues fully addressed for Business applications put
> Linux on the cutting edge.
>
> And put somewhere a sentence like this following ?
>
> "Linux Operating System was choosen to drive a notebook computer on the <I
> don't remember what mission of what spacecraft for some scientific
> experiment> demonstrating that it is the Operating System of choice for
> Mission Critical applications."
>
> > The organization breaks down without bullets. The list of features
> > would pretty much have to go.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > > What about something in the sense of: "* Frist UNIX support for a
> > > wide range of advanced multimedia features like video capture ..."
> >
> > No, UNIX is a legacy operating system. UNIX is hard to use.
> > UNIX might even be dead. Linux is new, exciting, and trendy!
> > Linux even has more server market share than UNIX. :-)
>
> But advanced multimedia need to be mentioned :)
>
> Ciao,
> Riccardo.
>

> -

James D. Willard  | Linux/FreeBSD/OpenBSD/Novell/Win/DOS/Minix User
james@cows.ml.org | finger james@cows.ml.org for PGP Public Key