Re: *** next draft - press release ***

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:40:38 -0500 (EST)

Riccardo Facchetti writes:

> serious thing that we must do right and since noone of us is a marketing
> droid this thing is much more difficult to get right that writing code :)

Hopefully thousnads of us can get the job done together.

> First of all we IMHO _must_ stress that Linux is very good at desktop
> computing:
>
> * Superior workstation and day to day working environment, with super
> stable Operating System and high quality software including Windows-like
> Graphical User Interfaces, complete Office Automation Suites compatible
> with the Microsoft Office suite, Internet Navigation packages for
> running faster on the Information Highway, complete development suites
> for writing your own software with the language of your choice.

Yes, I suppose that is needed. Let's skip "Information Highway"
though, please!

>> new life to older 486-based computers. Support is widely available
>
> Here we should change that 486-based to 386-based ... don't limit our
> suporting to the lower end ... someone is still using 386 :)

Hopefully that will be an option left for hackers only.
386 support cuts into performance and SMP support.

>> Apple Computer, Inc. NT is a trademark of Northern Telecom Limited.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> :)
>
> Really fun, but seriously this one can not make into the press
> release ... IMHO we should _not_ lower our profile doing clownie
> things like other well known entities.

I'm not kidding. We must acknowledge the trademark correctly.

Nicolas MONNET writes:

> Really stupid things that are really worth mentioning:
>
> * Euro support?

Not stupid, we now have characterset and font support for it.

> * Y2K compliance

Ugh. Yes, it crossed my mind but didn't seem to fit anywhere.

> Regarding the look: I *think* that bullet points are not usual in
> press releases. Better rephrase it as regular flowing text.

The organization breaks down without bullets. The list of features
would pretty much have to go.

Marcin Dalecki writes:

> What about something in the sense of: "* Frist UNIX support for a
> wide range of advanced multimedia features like video capture ..."

No, UNIX is a legacy operating system. UNIX is hard to use.
UNIX might even be dead. Linux is new, exciting, and trendy!
Linux even has more server market share than UNIX. :-)

> and so on and so on... maybe tell something about "Video conferencing"
> this seems one very catchy buzzword.

Yes, good.

>> * Compatibility support for reading BSD and NT disks. Easy access to
>
> And now Joe will think about floppies in first order.

Ouch, you are right.

> No it should be something about: " full support for direct data
> interchangability between Linux and NT systems!"

That won't do either, since it might just mean TCP/IP.
How about "hard disks" or "hard drives"?

>> Business users can get a fully supported copy later
>> this spring when Linux vendors ship complete integrated systems
>> containing the update on easy-to-use CD-ROM distributions.
>
> No no tell something about:
>
> "It should be expected that the system integrators will incorporate
> it as SOON AS POSSIBLE into ..."

Yes, good idea.

>> The following should be placed first. Yes think about the clueless
>> guy who had never seen Linux before...
>
>> Linux is a secure network operating system for demanding users.

I don't think so. Press releases almost always put background
information at the end. The news goes up front.

> This they will not care about at least or maybe even worser will not
> agree with in first place. "native to" isn't "politically correct"
>
>> Linus Torvalds, native to Finland, lives with his family in Santa
>> Clara CA, USA. He and others created Linux as a labor of love,
>> which may account for the superior software quality.

Biographical info seems to be part of most press releases that mention
a person. It makes the person seem real, human, and likeable.
I don't know what you mean by your comment about "native to".
The location could be changed to something less specific like
"Silicon Valley", but surely Linus Torvalds has an unlisted number.

My second sentence is a bit pathetic, but something like it would
be very good to have. It crushes the "freeware is junk" idea and
reduces suspicion of our motives. It is important to showcase the
quality. Normal companies simply can't claim that their employees
passionately care about the code. Anyone have replacement text?