Re: IPX overbroadcasting?

Gilbert Ramirez Jr. (gram@verdict.uthscsa.edu)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 10:05:38 -0600 (CST)

As tz@execpc.com said:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Gilbert Ramirez Jr. wrote:
>
> > Radovan,
> >
> > Yes, my 2.2.0 Linux computer brought down our LAN with IPX packets, like
> > you mention. But the packets my box was sending out weren't broadcast
> > packets. They were packets intended for a specific file server requesting
> > an NCP connection. They appeared to be packets that could have come from my
> > computer, instead of being copies of NetBIOS broadcasts as you found.
> >
> > I don't know yet what triggered my problems; I have not reproduced the
> > problem, although my co-workers really don't want me to, since the
> > traffic keeps them from logging into the NetWare file server. :-)
> >
> > We're running NetWare 4.11 mostly, with some 3.x and one 5.0. I use
> > token-ring, and you use ethernet.
> >
> > I'll continue probing to see if I can't cause my problem to happen again.
>
> Around line 753 of net/ipx/af_ipx.c is:
> if(ipx->ipx_type == IPX_TYPE_PPROP
>
> Try making this "if( 0 && ..." or otherwise disabling this.
>
> Are either of you running an internal IPX network node?
>
> Do you know if it is "Type 20 Broadcast" packets that are flooding the
> net?

I am not running an internal IPX network. My repeated packet was not a
broadcast, but an NCP request.

The source IPX network and node are my ring and my Olicom card.
The IPX packet type is 00, or "IPX".

--gilbert

--
Gilbert Ramirez                Voice:  +1 210 358 4032
Technical Services             Fax:    +1 210 358 1122