Re: ipx

Radovan Garabik (garabik@atlas02.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 10:57:21 +0100

On Thu, Jan 14, 1999 at 09:31:53PM -0600, Gilbert Ramirez Jr. wrote:
> Radovan,
>
> Yes, my 2.2.0 Linux computer brought down our LAN with IPX packets, like
> you mention. But the packets my box was sending out weren't broadcast
> packets. They were packets intended for a specific file server requesting
> an NCP connection. They appeared to be packets that could have come from my
> computer, instead of being copies of NetBIOS broadcasts as you found.
>
> I don't know yet what triggered my problems; I have not reproduced the
> problem, although my co-workers really don't want me to, since the
> traffic keeps them from logging into the NetWare file server. :-)
>
> We're running NetWare 4.11 mostly, with some 3.x and one 5.0. I use
> token-ring, and you use ethernet.
>
> I'll continue probing to see if I can't cause my problem to happen again.
>
> --gilbert

I am able to reproduce the problem: all it needs are 3 linux boxes with 2.2
kernels and ipx enabled, one windows NT, and there is a netware 4.11 server
as gateway (I can't try without it). There are also two other linuxes with
2.0.* kernels, but I don't think they make a difference - I can't turn
them off either.

Yesterday I mistakenly loaded ipx module into one of linuxes at the evening,
and the network traffic crashed the netware server during the night.

regards,