Re: *** next draft - press release ***

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 11:44:12 +1100

Greg Smart writes:
> btw. I'm getting a little concerned about clogging this mailing list. -
> suggestions.

Not as offtopic as some other things on this list. We were away on
holidays up north (fun in the sun) for two weeks and not having
regular email access meant I got to see the appalling volume of
offtopic messages posted here (I got my mail in big chunks). Needless
to say, I killed whole threads with a single keystroke :-(
Anyway, I can't think of a better place to discuss this. It is related
to the kernel, after all.

[Further aside: I was amazed at the number of Internet/Email
kiosks. There seemed to be one on every block.]

> * Compatibility support for reading BSD and NT disks. Easy access to
> documents stored on NTFS-format disks will facilitate conversion
> from NT to Linux.

There was something satisfying about an earlier line about "support
for legacy NTFS". IIRC M$ has in the past talked about "legacy Unix
systems", so perhaps we should return the compliment? Just don't mix
BSD's FFS in with "legacy NTFS", of course. Might be cleaner to not
mention FFS.

> NT is a trademark of Northern Telecom Limited.

Yes, this was very clever.

Regards,

Richard....