Re: draft for review - press release

John Goerzen (jgoerzen@complete.org)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:56:55 -0600

Constructive criticisms follow:

On Thu, Jan 14, 1999 at 10:09:42PM +1100, Smart, Kylie wrote:

> System Requirements of Linux kernel version 2.2.0:
> The minimum system requirements to run Linux 2.2.0 are a computer with a
> i386, i486, i586 or compatible processor, a single floppy drive and

No. Linux also runs on Alpha 21064, 21164; Sparc, UltraSparc; PowerPC;
MIPS; StrongARM; and more.

I know you mention that it's available below, but this causes confusion.
Why not say that it requires a "supported processor" and that supported
processors are 386 or above & compatibles, Alpha, m68k, Sparc, UltraSparc,
and PowerPC. (Note the capitolization there!)

> - full 64-bit processor support (Alpha, Sparc64).

This is not new in 2.2.

> - complete support of Microchannel(IBM) bus.

You ought to start all of these sentences with caps, and leave space on the
left of "(IBM)".

> - improved support for Joliet,NTFS,FAT32,FAT and other legacy
> filesystems.

Need spaces after commas.

> - PCMCIA and IRDA support through kernel modules.

PCMCIA support is not new in 2.2.x.

John