Re: excessive kernel Messages in 2.2.0pre6

Eric Z. Ayers (eric@compgen.com)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:37:29 -0500 (EST)

Mitchell Blank Jr writes:
> Eric Z. Ayers wrote:
> > Jan 12 09:42:49 bass kernel: lockd: failed to monitor 158.155.4.13
> > Jan 12 09:43:35 bass kernel: lockd: failed to monitor 158.155.4.13
> >
> > This doesn't seem to hurt much, but lockd is running on the other node
> > (an old NCR ATT Unix machine) and we've used NFS locking with it
> > before.
>
> "failed to monitor" means that it couldn't talk to 'statd'. Both statd
> and lockd should be running on the server for proper lock operation.

Thanks for your reply.

I believe that the linux box couldn't talk to it, but statd has been
running on the other system for the past 3 months (so has lockd) We
don't get these messages from 2.1.131 (which we just booted back to),
and we have been using NFS locking on this server within the past 30 days.

-Eric.