Re: Linux 2.2.0pre6, /usr/include/linux missing

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
14 Jan 1999 09:13:27 +0100

In article <cistron.19990113232632.A14698@discordia.mmedia.is>,
Bjarni R. Einarsson <bre@netverjar.is> wrote:
>This isn't exactly a kernel bug, but it's probably a Configure-script issue.
>
>After patching 2.2.0pre4 up to 2.2.0pre6, and re-running 'make bzImage', I
>noticed that both the 'asm' and 'linux' symlinks under /usr/include/ were
>missing.

Well the kernel build process is not supposed to put them there.

>Neither 'make menuconfig' nor 'make config' fixed this for me, which IIRC
>worked with Linux 2.0.x. So I fixed it by hand. :-)

You probably also broke it by hand :)

The kernel doesn't have anything to do with /usr/include. The distribution
you use is responsible for that. For example Debian doesn't even HAVE
the asm and linux symlinks in /usr/include - the libc6-dev package
just includes a complete copy of include files from a known-good kernel.

Mike.

--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?