Re: SMP problem with (en|dis)able_bh().

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 00:06:09 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, MOLNAR Ingo wrote:

> fortunately only the console code uses this function, which is mostly
> protected by the kernel lock. So i dont think this is an 'active' bug, but

If it would be protected by the big kernel lock it would have no raced in
first place. I think the reason the bh_mask setting it's _not_ racing at
all is a luck timing issue.

The disable/enable_bh() SMP race in the console code if not atomic
operation are used because one CPU is running the console_bh handler (from
the keyboard irq handler) and the other CPU is in the write(2) path from
a proggy.

Andrea Arcangeli