Re: directory that wont go away..kernel corrupted?

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU)
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 17:31:50 -0500

Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 15:40:31 -0500 (EST)
From: System Administrator <admin@intergrafix.net>

> > [root@cygnus logs]# ls -l
> > total 1034
> > drwxr-xr-x 31 root root 1024 Jan 5 17:04 /
> ^^ This seems a bit strange. What does contain a directory
> '/'?
>
> But no matter what it is I would reccomend you to run fsck on the disk
> because it is surely unwanted state of fs. The other question is how
> this can happen. Haven't your computer crashed lastly? Probably Theodore
> or Steven will have better idea of what can cause this.

i fsck'd the partition, it came up clean

Did it actually do an check the partition, or did it exit almost
immediately saying the filesystem was clean, so it didn't need to do a
check. You need to run e2fsck -f to force a filesystem check regardless
of status of the "clean bit" in the superblock.

- Ted