Re: MM deadlock [was: Re: arca-vm-8...]

Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 22:11:47 GMT

Hi,

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999 16:07:13 +0100 (CET), Andrea Arcangeli
<andrea@e-mind.com> said:

> On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Chris Evans wrote:
>> Yes. Imagine the paging in of big binary case. The page faults will occur
>> all over the place, not in a nice sequential order. The page-in clusters
>> stuff _doubled_ performance of paging in certain big static binaries.

> I think that if it helped it means that the swap cache got shrunk too much
> early due a not good free paging algorithm.

Not in the slightest. We're talking about the things like the
performance of starting up a fresh new copy of netscape. Swapout has
nothing to do with it in that case: we are starting from a ground state
where the binary is completely uncached. The clustered pagein has a
huge impact in that case.

--Stephen