Re: 2.2.0p6: autofs bug! unmountable filesystem

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 13:19:29 -0800 (PST)

> On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>
> > > 4) kill -9 `pidof automount userland process`
> > > 5) umount /misc <----- fails
> > >
> > > I have verified that steps 4) and 5) work ok if done without 1) 2) and 3)
> > >

> > 4) is your problem. Sorry, this is Your Fault[TM].
>
> Ah, I think I get it - a graceful shutdown of the userland stuff does some
> unregistering with the kernel? So the filesystem can still be unmounted,
> if userspace cleans up the mess kill -9 left?

Probably. You need to get the filesystem into catatonic mode; it will
automatically go to catatonic mode if it tries to write to the pipe
(i.e. do a mount) and find the other end is no longer connected, or
there is an AUTOFS_IOC_CATATONIC ioctl() that does that (which the
daemon issues during shutdown.)

-hpa