Re: PATCH killing dead code and design errors in pre6

Marcin Dalecki (dalecki@cs.net.pl)
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 17:33:36 +0100

MOLNAR Ingo wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Marcin Dalecki wrote:
>
> > Several YEARS ago it got introduced into the general linux kernel.
> > It is providing a mechanism of constructors and destructors for the
> > objects allocaed and deallocated. However still after YEARS I found
> > actually only one place in the kernel where it was used!
>
> this doesnt mean it should be removed ... later on it can make a
> difference, we can call constructors in the idle thread(s). Lets better
> keep the interface right, even if it's unused.

Or put it again into 2.3 or whatever. I still don't like to have dead
code,
however wonderfull, around. And in esp. I don't like it in something as
vital
as the allocator. Even after my patch, there appears to be still
*PLENTY*
of room for other simplifications/optimizations in slab.c.

And just please put it in, only if it get's real usage, wich would
actually
proove that this is something desirable. Academic exercises aren't
very usefull for the sake fo theyr own. However the past two years show
that
this isn't soemthing going to happen any time soon.

BTW. Please take a look at the many free_list buffer_header mechanisms
in the kernel which are giving a hint on how the kernel already quite
perfectly
avoids unnecessary reinitializations on object reusal.

--Marcin