RE: unmount fails

Joseph Anthony (jga@alien.cowboy.net)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 23:10:22 -0600 (CST)

OK.. I got it from ther debian source CD and added that -static flag like
you said and it compiled and I installed it over the existing ones.. after
I did a shutdown -r now it did the same thing.. I assume it doesn't take
effect untill after I boot again? Unless it is related to the kernel..
because I have never experienced this until I started using 2.2.0-pre4

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Mark Orr wrote:

> On 12-Jan-99 Joseph Anthony wrote:
> > I have noticed that on shutdown "/" and sometimes another partition will
> > fail to unmount saying that the device is "busy", then next time I boot it
> > forces a check and changes the filesystem.. this scares me.. this is with
> > 2.2.0-pre4 - pre6
>
> Ooh...I recently had this problem too. Was a devil to figure out what
> was causing it...since I'm constantly upgrading utilties and programs.
>
> I tried recompiling mount (from Util-linux), Sysvinit, e2fsck...going back
> to older versions.
>
> The problem showed up for me shortly after upgrading to Sysvinit 2.76.
>
> I found a message from Miquels van smoorenburg (sp? he's the author/maintainer
> of Sysvinit) stating that it's a
> bug in glibc-2.0.7 that has been fixed in some new redhat patch collection.
> Since glibc takes forever to compile, i didnt fix it that way.
>
> The bug shows up when your sysvinit (/sbin/init) is NOT compiled -static.
> (I thought I might save a little memory by compiling it dynamically)
>
> Recompile the Sysvinit utils w/ the -static flag. There's a make variable
> that's set undefined in the Makefile. Change it to STATIC=-static.
> recompile....reboot a couple of times, and it should go away.
>
> Mark Orr
> markorr@intersurf.com

---
*          Joseph Anthony           *