Re: US relaxes crypto restrictions?

David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 05:52:12 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Alan Olsen wrote:

> On Jan 12, 4:41pm, christophe.leroy5@capway.com wrote:
>
> > I think nobody shall suffer of it.
> > Just make a kernel with everithing needed for encryption but only
> > xor encryption, and a separate patch that replaces xor by DES
> >
> > Everybody will be able to use the one they want.
> >
> > People ontside france can download nonDES version and patch it
> > People inside france cannot download DES version and unpatch it,
> > as they arent allowed to download a version with DES if Linus hasnt
> > declared it to the government.
>
> Nope.
>
> The US Government considers this kind of crypto hook the same as exporting
> crypto. (Kind of the way that some religions equate lusting after a woman the
> same as adultry. Allowing crypto into your source is the same as encrypting in
> the real world.)

Oh, but we wouldn't be adding crypto hooks. We'd be adding compression
hooks... ;-P

I hope compression isn't illegal?

/David Weinehall
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </