Re: Kernel Threads: Dr. Russinovich's response

Gregory Maxwell (linker@z.ml.org)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 19:21:50 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
> I've had several discussions with Mark since his initial comments. Firstly
> he knows his stuff. Secondly in several cases he was quite accurate on
> weaknesses in the scaling. My initial reaction was "uh humm hold on.. "
> but I've since traded various bits both ways resolving misunderstandings
> of models. Mark has been through at least pieces of the kernel code.
>
> I don't agree with some of his conclusions but he's definitely not a J
> Random Fool like some people think. He's also prepared to defend his claims
> in detail unlike hack merchants like Fred Moody.
>
> I suspect we can learn useful things from his comments even if they arent
> the ones you want to hear.
>
> Alan

After reading what he had to say, I also came to the conclusion that he
has some idea on what he's talking about.... But.. I dont understand how
he can make such rational comments about Linux (and some of his comments
are relevent to many other unixes) in one breath and recommend NT in the
next. Perhaps he's just been an academia too long? :) NT in the
enterprise? Pffth.