Re: Results: Zlatko's new vm patch

Michael K Vance (mkv102@psu.edu)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:24:04 -0500

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Note that there are very few people who are testing interactive feel. I'd
> be happier with more people giving more subjective comments on how the
> system feels under heavy memory load.

I left my machine today (64mb/80mb swap, running pre6 on an MMX/233) running
netscape, xemacs, a few rxvt's, and xscreensaver. Many times when I get home
after classes, xscreensaver's GL apps will have swapped large portions of
netscape and xemacs out. Today when I came home, I tried to check my mail, and
write a bit of code, but everything was swapping left and right. It wasn't
just that netscape and xemacs got swapped back in, and then that was
that--instead it just continually ground my hard drive as it downloaded email
and I switched around to apps, etc, for a good few minutes. Very unpleasant.

FYI,

m.

--
"We watched her fall over and lay down,
 shouting the poetic truths of high school journal keepers."