Re: 2.2.0pre5/6 IDE disk geometry detection problem

Marko Siladin (msiladin@athos.mas.vcu.edu)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 11:01:41 -0500 (EST)

> Be more specific, please........
>
> Has linux ever gotten the geometry correct?

I don't think that linux ever got the physical geometry of this
hard disk correct.
I'll check the 2.0.x series tonight when I get home
But the logical geometry wat correctly read from the BIOS by 2.1.131

> It appears that your BIOS is old enough to on see 2.1 GB drives.
> 4092,16,63 is exactly the values for the 2.1 GB.
>
> Note that you can pass the hardcode values to the kernel in the append
> line of lilo.conf hda=6780,16,63 and you will need to have linear define
> also if the LBA translation is not used.
I'll try to play around with my LILO settings tonight.
I was aware of the possibility of setting the geometry manually, but
since it worked ok on 2.1.131 I wondered if the new results are
a bug or not.

BTW: LBA is used in the BIOS on this drive

Andries asked me about hdparm -i (-I) results and
they seemed to be the same in both 2.1.131 and 2.2.0.pre5/6

I posted them onto the kernel mailing list

--
...Marko