Re: C++ in kernel (was Re: exception in a device driver)

Mark H. Wood (mwood@iupui.edu)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 06:09:32 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
[deletia]
> Another big C++ problem with an OS kernel is that it tends to hide things
> like memory referencing. With C you can accurately see where you have cache
> issues, where there are going to be excessive reloads and also see clearly
> where objects are dereferenced which is very important for SMP.

So instead of C++ we should be talking about converting to Bliss? :-)

Innovation is only valuable if it improves one's life; otherwise it's
just one more silly change to cope with.