Re: ISSUE: lp locks system when polling printer in 2.2.0pre5

Eric Furbish (efurbish@rice.edu)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 02:18:49 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Tim Waugh wrote:

> I don't think that's anything to do with lp, since it's polling. What
> happens when you boot with "lp=0" on the command line?

Let me make sure I'm doing this correctly... I'm using lilo, and at the
prompt, I use:

linux lp=0

I wasn't sure if I was supposed to use quotes or not, though I believe
not. When I do it this way on soft reboot, the kernel dies *before* it
echoes the message about polling, as opposed to *after* as it was without
the option. However, when I do the hard reboot (and use lp=0) it boots
fine, but printing no longer works and the printer doesn't do its normal
initialization.

Eric