Re: What is the most popular platform?

Phil Sweeney (phils@vic.mondial.net.au)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 14:27:03 +1100

Jacob Hawley wrote:

> I am trying to determine the most popular platform for Linux. Specifically,
> what version is the most common (4.5?). I have seen a couple of versions at the
> retail shelf and I am trying to target one particular version for a driver
> release.

> Thanks
> Jacob Hawley
> Sr. Manager, Custom Engineering
> Creative Labs, Inc.
> www.soundblaster.com

Could it be that creative has taken an interest in linux as a platform
to support their products on? I'm sure we would all welcome this.

Linux is a term that really refers to the underlying working of the
linux operating system, the kernel. All distributions contain the linux
kernel, which is developed separately. Therefore, when writing drivers
for the linux operating system it should work for all distributions
(redhat, debian, slackware etc).

Hope this helps,

Phil