Re: linux-kernel's extremely slow turnaround time

Oliver Xymoron (oxymoron@waste.org)
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 18:27:30 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> | > *boggle* And you think *sendmail* is a load problem? Majordomo is quite
> |
> | Bah. I have a Majordomo list with ~12000 subscribers. No problems. Not to
>
> # subscribers as an estimate of traffic. The problem isn't so much number
> of subscribers as the number of processes majordomo throws around in the
> course of processing submissions --- maybe you have a more efficient version
> of majordomo than the ones I've worked with; they were originally written
> back when using Perl as glue for external commands was considered the
> "right" way to do things, and weren't redesigned as Perl and the Perl
> "world" changed.

I'm still using 1.x majordomo just like everyone else. The bottleneck is
not calling external commands (which is primarily calling sendmail for
message delivery, once per message), but in loading and compiling resend,
archive, etc., repeatedly. Resend for some lists may also have to read the
subscriber list to determine whether a post is legitimate, but this is not
an issue for linux-kernel. Free memory helps _a lot_, as do fast disks.

Running on an, umm, mature SPARC with slow drives and sharing it with the
main CVS repository is probably the problem here..