Re: MM deadlock [was: Re: arca-vm-8...]

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 09:55:59 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Savochkin Andrey Vladimirovich wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 10, 1999 at 10:35:10AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > The thing I want to make re-entrant is just semaphore accesses: at the
> > point where we would otherwise deadlock on the writer semaphore it's much
> > better to just allow nested writes. I suspect all filesystems can already
> > handle nested writes - they are a lot easier to handle than truly
> > concurrent ones.
>
> You're an optimist, aren't you? :-)

No, drugged to my eye-brows.

> In any case I've checked your recursive semaphore code on a news server
> which reliably deadlocked with the previous kernels.
> The code seems to work well.

I found a rather nasty race in my implementation - it's basically
impossible to triggerin real life, but quite frankly I don't want to have
semaphores that have a really subtle bug in them.

However much I tried, I couldn't make the race go away without using a
spinlock in the critical path of the semaphore, something which I very
much want to avoid.

Unless I find a good recursive semaphore implementation (and I'm starting
to despair about finding one that is lock-free for the non-contention
case), I'll have to come up with something else (like letting only kswapd
swap out pages as has been discussed here).

Linus