Re: linux-kernel's extremely slow turnaround time

Matthew Kirkwood (weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 15:27:42 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> > What's limiting it? CPU? Disk? Sendmail waiting for slow mail hosts on
> > the other end?
>
> Having run a mailing list with several thousand subcribers on it,
> I would place my money on sendmail. When the NTSecurity mailing list
> topped 2,000 subscribers, the list latency was exceeding a day or more
> depending on slow hosts. The problem is that, for a given message, sendmail
> will only deliver to one address at a time and go sequentially through
> that list.

vger runs vmailer. And, I believe, less than half of the exploders run
sendwhale.

> On my one list engine at ISS, we now use QMail for delivery. I
> personally think that Dan Bernstein's claims about security and QMail are
> way over hyped and I've seen it commit enough random acts of terrorism not
> to trust it exposed to the outside world, but it does deliver mail at least
> and order or two fast than sendmail for extremely large receipient lists.
> I saw hour latency through the list drop from days to hours.

We use qmail to explode vger, and apart from the numbers in /proc/net/dev
increasing a bit quicker than usual we haven't noticed significant load
increases at all.

The short-term solution is more exploders (although I suspect that there
are only one or two significant domains remaining).

The longer-term solution is a fast, majordomo-compatible distributed list
server.

Matthew.