Re: [patch] getname buffer moved to slab cache

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 12:40:37 +0100 (CET)

On 11 Jan 1999, Zlatko Calusic wrote:

> be? Do you have a SMP machine. Does 'time' work that way on SMP
> machines?

Yes.

> Also, improvement is so small (if I got it right) that I wouldn't
> bother. Benchmarking is a whole science. If I get such a small
> improvements in my tests, I regularly dump the idea I had. :)

That's not the worst case. The point of the patch is that it's a waste of
resources having to get/put every time a page from the free area struct
risking having to defrag/compact some area of memory every time. Having
some kind of cache for the so always needed getname buffer make tons of
sense to me. Using the slab for implementing the cache is been the
strighforward solution to me. If you all think that the slab
implementation is not efficient for this kind of work (simply getting 4k
memory areas) I can implement a dedicated cache, something like the
pagetable-cache.

Andrea Arcangeli