Re: [Patch] IPv4 TCP security impovement

Damien Miller (dmiller@ilogic.com.au)
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 11:40:18 +1100 (EST)

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Joachim Baran wrote:

> According to some Phrack (49? - I can't remember) I
> read, Microsoft operating systems don't send an ACK+RST.
> So they couldn't be scanned in this way - but almost
> every Unix. This is sad...

What is sad is the fact that M$ have broken their TCP/IP stack for no
real gain. There are plenty of other ways to portscan, have a look
at nmap.

You are free to break your own kernel to mimic this behaviour, please
don't try to break mine.

Regards,
Damien Miller