Re: linux-kernel's extremely slow turnaround time

Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@sonera.fi)
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 02:40:33 +0200 (EET)

Jordan Mendelson <jordy@wserv.com> wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:
> > I doubt DaveM needs convincing, if someone can ship him a bigger box to
> > replace Vger Im sure he'd be very happy
>
> Anyone know how much mail on average vger.rutgers.edu handles per day?
> With all the mailing lists it handles it might be worth while to add a
> second box instead of replacing vger. I noticed it used zmailer and I'm
> not sure how it's performance compares to sendmail.

With these loads, sendmail would have killed the box
ages ago... The main problems spin around Majordomo,
and the ``small'' fact that each posting to any list
goes once thru Majordomo, and THRISE thru the mailer
with one run with 3000+ recipients.

The queue at the MTA is right now 6170 messages.
During previous 7 hours the MTA has handled 380 000
recipient addresses.

The system disk at which there is all Majordomo, MTA,
CVS, Anon-FTP, and home-directory load is ST15230N
at a moderate (propably 5MHz SYNC) SCSI bus.

Also, VGER and Dave are not at the same side of the
continent. We have done some planning about this
with Dave, but it will take some months to resolve.
Dave does have machines, have no fear, but they
are in California, while VGER is at New Jersey.
Maybe VGER's linux-list services need to change their
domain -- like to lists.kernel.org, lists.linux.org.
That way it won't be tied to Rutgers anymore.

> Also, what kind of box is vger right now and what kind of CPU/memory
> load is the box at on average?

SparcStation10/50MHz, 128 MB RAM with 50 MHz SuperSparc.
Average load-average is 5 to 10, and only one process
is doing email routing -- e.g. it is getting 10-20%
of CPU to do that task.