Re: 2.2.0pre4 hangs while fsck'ing at boot time

Sun, 10 Jan 1999 00:09:19 +0000

On Thu, Jan 07, 1999 at 05:39:24PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > I reboot and it goes into fsck trying to make sense
> > of my not-cleanly-unmounted filesystems and HANGS again.
> >
> > The same thing happened when I tried 2.1.131.
> > 2.0.36 works allright on my box.
>
> So 2.2.xpre will fail on the fsck, but 2.0.36 will then fsck the same
> disk just fine ? What sort of disk/controller ?

Alan,

I've had similar lockups with my VIA VP2/97 chipset and Quantum FB ST
6.4G drive, throughout the entire 2.1.x series that I tried. (Since
about 2.1.70).

If I disable DMA during boot, it is fine. I can subsequently enable DMA
using `hdparm -X34 -d1': -X34 seems to make it all ok.

-- Jamie