Re: gated-3.5.10-dif981228.gz , rip_recv_response: zero prefix length

Mr. James W. Laferriere (babydr@nwrain.net)
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 21:47:43 -0800 (PST)

Hello Alexey,

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999 kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:
> Hello!
> > Jon Lewis reported a very interesting problem with gated &
> > aliased interfaces . Ie: it gets really hard to eliminate the
> > host routes from being broadcast. Jon uses ospf, although I found
> > the same using rip .
>
> eth0:* labels are not used more and gated works as it works in other OSes:
> i.e. interfaces are identified only by their addresses.
>
> What's about RIP: it controls exports by export {} statement, so that
> you may filter these routes by normal access lists.
>
> OSPF does not allow cheating by design. If an address exists,
> it is advertised. This is controlled partially with "network" statement.
>
> If you want to filter lots of aliases, you may add them also to not OSPFable
> interfaces (f.e. dummy).
Is tunlx: OSPFable ? , I think it may be . Haven't tried lately
any of the more esoteric functionalities of linux .
But I think I will be soon .;-)

>But really creating bulk sets of aliases
> if you do not want to export them is very bad idea.
I can understand this thought . And what is needed is a method
to 'aggregate' /32's used into a /xx exportable single route
statement . Ie: several 255.255.255.255's aggregated into a single
255.255.255.0 or some such . I know it's a gated.conf problem .

> Explicit aliases are created only to be used by gated, if it should
> ignore them just make:
Hunh, What Explicit aliases ?
OK, Boss guy where did you hide information of 'Explicit aliases'
not to be found in Documentation dir ? At least by that naming .

I Know use the source 'P^HLuke', But haven't seen good notes
in most area's of source & little 'Luke Source Walker' gets
lost really easy without notes on the way thru the Sources .

> ip route add local 193.168.0.0/24 table local dev eth0 proto static
> and linux will handle all these addresses as local with minimal cost.
> (If the range does not form single prefixe, it may be split to several
> subprefixes)
Also got this. But does it requires whacking the kernel ?
Another one of very little documentation . Where may I
find copious docs on 'ip' tool you have made ? What little
I have played with it , it is a nice tool ;-)
Was going to ask if newest release of 'ip' tool had any
docs , So I went and got it . No docs , Yet . When can
someone possibly see docs for these nice tools, They are
close to being self documenting but aren't really there
yet .

> Alias labels eth0:xxx are not used anymore: they are preserved only
> not to frighten too much our folks by BSdisms. You may use them
> for convenience, when setting/deleting static routes,
> but this information is not remembered by kernel and not used by gated.
If an aliased interface existed in the kernel then gated
(normally) would see & use it as a valid interface .
just grab 3.5.9 & make an eth0:0 and 'gdc interface' then do
a 'gdc dump' and look . It will be there .

> > Also for another excersize just see what happens on a system where
> > you are at the console ( I MEAN at the console ), Try creating
> > the above aliased interface with a -really- simple gated.conf
> > (see attached) and do a 'gdc stop' then a 'gdc start' .
> > I think you'll be -VERY- surprised in the resultant route table .
>
> I tried and not did not find any exciting effect.
> What do you mean?
do a 'gdc dump' and look at the 'Router ID:' in it ???
it will be pointing to the aliased interfaces ip .
This will present the 192.168.0.1 as the router broadcasting
rip/ospf/... to the other routers its routes . Which will
be recorded as an 'bad route' . gated will still use the
proper interface thus the routes will still be properly
advertised .

Also with your latest patches I have noticed a contious stream
in the gated.dmp/messages files the response below every
rip update.
Now mind you this is in both gated.dmp & /var/log/messages .:-}

Jan 9 21:39:20 rip_recv_response: bad router (192.168.0.1) for net
199.33.245 from 199.33.245.238+520