Re: Wierd NFS problem

Russell Steffen (rsteffen@ia.net)
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 17:11:08 -0600 (EST)

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Greg Whalin wrote:
> I have noticed a slight bug/problem with NFS. Here is my setup and how
> to reproduce it.
[snip]
> > ls -l
> -rw-r--r-- 1 gwhalin users 512 Jan 08 12:34 sample.txt
>
> I then edit the file with vi ... make some changes and save. Then, I
> check ls ..
>
> > ls -l
> -rw-r--r-- 1 gwhalin users 545 Jan 08 1999 sample.txt

I'll bet you have clock skew. This is a classic example of what happens
when the clock on the server is ahead of the clock on the client. You
modify the file on the client, but it gets it's timestamp from server. So
now you do an ls, but the file's timestamp is in the future, which causes
the 'ls' on most Unices to drop the time oart of the time stamp.

Russ Steffen
rsteffen@ia.net