Re: scsi: Data overrun

Doug Ledford (dledford@redhat.com)
Sat, 09 Jan 1999 18:36:39 +0000

Tim Waugh wrote:

> Just got this from 2.2.0-pre5-ac1 - is it harmless?
>
> (scsi0:0:0:0) Data overrun detected in Data-Out phase, tag 14;
> Have seen Data Phase. Length=1024, NumSGs=1.
> sg[0] - Addr 0x1bc6400 : Length 1024

Let me guess, you have a Quantum hard drive? In any case, this message
is harmless. On data out that means the drive re-read at least one
block without telling the driver about it and so we counted more data
than the command was actually suppossed to send. Overruns in the
data-in phase are also harmless since we just drop the data into a bit
bucket and don't allow it to overwrite any RAM. If this is indeed a
Quantum drive, then just decrease the tag queue depth some and the drive
will be happier (although, the driver should automatically reduce the
queue depth after enough operation time).

--
  Doug Ledford   <dledford@redhat.com>
   Opinions expressed are my own, but