Re: us.kernel.org mirroring inconsistency

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
8 Jan 1999 23:36:17 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.96.990107214614.1627F-100000@labyrinth.logic.net>,
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@logic.net> wrote:
>On 6 Jan 1999, david parsons wrote:
>> But Red Hat isn't the only distribution out there.
>>
>> ____
>> david parsons \bi/ The idea of redhat being the `official' version of Linux
>> \/ is somewhat terrifying.
>
>The idea of someone who can't see the level of market penetration that
>Red Hat has in the Linux realm is somewhat terrifying.

50% or so, which is pretty good.

That still leaves about 5 million seats running something other
than redhat.

If Redhat can pull off a market takeover of the Linux community,
more power to them -- I think that they are enough like Microsoft
so that they could get a large wad of market share and cling to
it like grim death itself [1]. Until then, it strikes me as A
Really Bad Idea to assume that everyone on the sun is running the
latest redhat distribution.

____
david parsons \bi/ [1: That's how the computer marketplace works,
\/ barring some pretty spectacular antitrust
decisions. Redhat seems to be the only
US Linux distribution that's as focused
as Microsoft, and that's good for Linux.]