Re: Time??

pacman (pacman-kernel@cqc.com)
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 00:36:23 -0500 (EST)

Riley Williams writes the following:

> > echo "<$TZ>" yielded <>, and the latter still didn't fix it =( this
> > is also on a redhat box as well as the Debian one.. something is
> > broken some where.
>
>OK, the other reasonably obvious possibility is to turn that on its
>head - is TZ set for the sendmail daemon that's started automagically
>in your boot scripts ???

I haven't been following all of this thread, but... it looks like you're not
aware that ps has an option to show environment variables of a running
process. ps ewwwwwwwwwp`pidof sendmail` would be a much easier way to find
what you're looking for. Or even
</proc/`pidof sendmail`/environ tr '\0' '\n'|fgrep TZ

Whenever I've seen a single process not finding the correct timezone while
all others do, it's been a case of libc version skew. libc5 looks for
/usr/lib/zoneinfo/localtime for the default timezone, and libc6 looks for
/etc/localtime. If you don't have a pure system (only one libc and no static
linking), one of these should be a symlink to the other.

--
Alan Curry