Re: UID width

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 11:34:26 +1300

On Fri, Jan 08, 1999 at 04:37:22PM +0300, Khimenko Victor wrote:

> Ufortunatelly even with glibc2 this transition will not be
> painless. Take a look:

Indeed... I've been trying to work out a sane way of doing this for
some time now. Suggestions welcome.

> -- gnu/types.h --
> typedef unsigned short int __ipc_pid_t;

Is 16-bit -- ouch. It really needs to be 32-bit. I don't get how this
occured, glibc uses 32-bit pid_t everywhere except here.

My best solution so far, is break this API before it gets too
ingrained in code out there (which sucks, because this will break
sybase, which rocks).

-cw