Re: PossibleNFS locking problem 2.2.0pre1-4

Thu, 7 Jan 1999 10:21:04 +0000

On Tue, Jan 05, 1999 at 03:03:01PM +0100, Jon K. Hellan wrote:
> I recently upgraded to 2.2.0-pre4, and apparently have a problem nfs
> locking files on an nfs server running 2.0.36 (pre 14, actually).
> I am not sure whether this is a kernel bug or a configuration problem.

A configuration problem. You need to run `statd' on both the client and
server, and as the server is 2.0.36, you need to run user space `lockd'
as well.

Bear in mind, that if you were previously using 2.0.36 on the client, it
was never really locking the files, just returning a fake "success"
code. So the situation was no better.

You can get the 2.0.36-equivalent behaviour by mounting the filesystem
with the `nolock' option.

-- Jamie